A Noble Goal
It happened as early in your career as basic training. Your drill sergeant asked you a question and you responded correctly—sort of. Although the content of your answer was sound, he insisted not only that he couldn’t hear you, but that you lacked a pair of something. When you repeated your answer with zeal, focus, and intensity, the problem was mysteriously solved. This universal experience vividly illustrates the Army’s enduring and pervasive commitment to cultivating confidence in every soldier—a commitment that is as noble as it is necessary.
A Misconception
Unfortunately, a great deal of the Army’s traditional efforts toward cultivating soldier confidence are based on the misconception that confidence (much like honesty or fairness) is a virtue that ought to be practiced. Confidence, however, is not a virtue but an asset. Behaviors like decisiveness, authoritative tone, and command presence, are merely the natural byproducts of possessing the asset of confidence. Although these behaviors can be faked, genuine confidence cannot be practiced until it is possessed. Leaders, therefore, should refrain from demanding the behaviors of confidence, and begin supplying the foundations of confidence: Competence, Confirmation, and Conviction.
Competence
The very best soldiers lack confidence whenever they lack competence. That is because the best soldiers understand that genuine confidence must be rooted in tactical proficiency. History, experience, and common sense all confirm that soldiers and leaders who manufacture behaviors of confidence to mask their own incompetence do tremendous harm both to their unit and to their mission. Confidence without competence is far more dangerous than competence without confidence. That is why leaders must take personal responsibility for training their soldiers. When a soldier does not appear confident about performing a task, nine times out of ten it is because he/she does not feel properly trained and equipped.
Confirmation
I drove for three different team leaders in Iraq. I did a good job for two and a poor job for one. It wasn’t that I didn’t like the guy. I really tried. But when he second-guessed every decision I made, my confidence was slowly eroded. Eventually I found it difficult to make the spilt-second decisions the job required. Whether driving, evaluating a casualty, or determining levels of force, soldiers face many spilt-second decisions, each with long-term consequences. The difficulty of these decisions can be disastrously compounded by incessant criticism. The soldier will ask, “If everything I’ve done thus far has been wrong, how can I be confident in what I’m about to do?” As leaders, we must take every opportunity to confirm a soldier’s competence by recognizing good performance as we see it. When soldiers do the right thing, we need to tell them that they did the right thing!
Conviction
There’s the right thing to do tactically, and there’s the right thing to do morally. We do a lot of talking about one (as we should) and almost no talking about the other. This is unfortunate. I don’t mean that leaders need to start teaching ethics or promoting religion. That is not the point. What I mean is that leaders need to help their soldiers believe in what they are doing. True confidence doesn’t just mean knowing that you can do something. It means valuing it. If you believe that what you do in the Army is a force for good in the world on any level, take some time and share that belief with your soldiers. If you find that you don’t believe in anything you do, please do us all a favor and resign your position. Sharing your belief in the work of your unit doesn’t have to be a long-winded speech. In fact (take it from a lover of long-winded speeches), its better if its not. Keep it simple, keep it real, and keep it you. Your soldiers' confidence will benefit.
Tuesday, February 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment